Cowdy & Co. are Property Management specialists, and have been looking after rentals across greater Christchurch since 1980. Our comprehensive Property Management service successfully supports property investors and landlords from both within New Zealand and overseas.
Director, Janice Cowdy has been with Cowdy & Co. Property Management since 1987. Olivia Cowdy joined the Management Team in 2015 and together we reinforce our family values into the way we manage our company. Both Janice and Olivia are involved in the day to day running of the business and keep ourselves fully up to date with the rental market. As winners of the REINZ Property Management Best Small Residential Office of the Year 2014 award you can be confident in our abilities to provide you a top quality service.
Cowdy & Co. has been built around the unique Christchurch market and this local focus is reflected in how we operate our systems and approach, property by property.
Property Management specialists – the Cowdy & Co. advantage
With over 35 years in the Christchurch rental market, Cowdy & Co.’s team are qualified, motivated and have a wealth of experience in rental Property Management. We have built solid relationships with a range of professional consultants and maintenance providers which you will benefit from. Your Property Manager isn’t just relying on their own experience, but the collective experience of our whole team, as well as the professional consultants we employ – legal, accounting, financial, legislative, dispute resolution, maintenance and anything connected with property, it’s all part of the service.
We can offer:
- Establishing a fair current market rent.
- Creative professional marketing to promote your property to the widest audience.
- An online rental viewing booking system to minimise vacancy.
- Prospective tenant vetting and reference checking to provide the best tenant.
- Preparation of tenancy agreements and lodging bonds to protect you in the future.
- Tenant liaison.
- Rent collection monitoring and rent arrears follow-up to protect you financially.
- Processing and payment of accounts relating to the property.
- Disbursement of funds to landlords twice a month with a monthly statement.
- Regular maintenance reports on your property using the latest iPad technology.
- Management of maintenance requests to save you time and money.
- Access to discounted rates from some tradespeople to mimimise your outgoings.
- 24/7 emergency service – we will answer your tenant’s calls at any time.
- Issuing breach notices.
- Dispute resolution by mediation & tribunal applications.
If you decide that rental property ownership isn’t for you, then we can refer you to our Residential Sales Team.
The Cowdy & Co. vision for Property Management
Through a dedication to personal service, hard work, and professionalism we are working to fulfil our vision to be the most highly recommended Real Estate and Property Management Company in wider Christchurch. It is our dedication to these values that earns us a reputation of being second to none.
At Cowdy & Co. Property Management, we guarantee that if we fail to meet any of our written service standards, the next 3 months management of your property will be provided to you free of charge.
Our award winning team
Our award winning team will maximise your profits and minimise your stress. We have a highly skilled and motivated team of Property Managers on staff who are supported by an accomplished administration team.
Since our first entry into the REINZ Property Management awards in 2011, we have either been a finalist or winner of our entered category. The award criteria changes each year which shows how versatile and up to date we are in the rental market and how we continuously develop the way we work.
- REINZ Property Management Best Small Residential Office of the Year winner 2014
- REINZ Property Management Agency of the Year finalist 2013
- REINZ Property Management Agency of the Year finalist 2012
- REINZ Property Management Agency of the Year finalist 2011
To us business is personal.
All of our Property Managers have a variety of skills, knowledge, and personal qualities to operate in this demanding industry.
Every property owner is different, this means that every owner has different goals for their investment. We’ll work with you to tailor a property care plan that suits your investment, both time and money-wise. We work to ensure your property is rented to the most suitable tenants, at the right price for a good return on your investment.
We are the local market, our roots and foundations are here. Market statistics and area data provide a strong general overview as a Christchurch market guide, but for a better picture they are best matched to a blend of ‘on the ground’ knowledge and local context. We have our ear to the ground when it comes to Christchurch rental property. With superior contextual knowledge, we can help to guide you through the local rental market.
Continuity and communication
Here at Cowdy & Co. we strongly believe in continuity of service. That’s why we operate a portfolio management approach, meaning you’ll work with your own Property Manager. You and your tenants will have one regular and consistent point of contact for you to deal with.
Communication is vital to any good relationship, and that’s why here at Cowdy & Co. we maintain strong channels of communication with all our relationship stakeholders including:
- property owners,
- service and maintenance providers.
Our personal service is enhanced by the use of well-established and regularly reviewed systems and procedures, enabling our Property Managers to reach levels of performance unmatched by our competitors.
Online self-service web portal
We have an online self-service portal for landlords which gives access to:
- A list of your properties,
- Your statements,
- Current and previous income and expense reports,
- Inspection reports.
To log in to the Landlord Portal, simply click here and use your username and password. If you need a reminder of your details, click the “Find my Username or Password” button.
The Cowdy & Co. Property Management process
Our Property Management methods are all designed around reducing the work for property owners and minimising the stresses involved in owning a rental property. When you sign over your Property Management to the Cowdy & Co. Team we’ll take care of everything before, during, and at the end of a tenancy:
Once you contract us to manage a rental property on your behalf, we make sure everything runs smoothly, from finding your first tenant, through to ensuring rental payments arrive in your account every fortnight. We solve any problems that may arise on your behalf, and keep you informed all the way, with as little or as much communication as is right for you.
Switch to us
If you are not happy with your current Property Management company, why not transfer to Cowdy & Co.? We would have great pleasure in looking after you and your property.
So let’s make it simple:
- Just complete the transfer form and we will manage the process with your current Property Management company.
- We will be in contact to discuss your property and provide you with a Management Authority form to be signed and returned to us.
- We will take care of the rest!
We have professional couples and families looking for somewhere to call home.
If you own a rental property or are considering renting out your home, the team at Cowdy & Co. would love to help you. You can request a rental appraisal here.
Marketing & tenanting your property
Attracting tenants to your property is easy, but obtaining the right tenants is the hard part. We have a proven marketing strategy for rental properties in Christchurch, utilising:
- Internet advertising – we advertise on 3 property websites (Cowdy & Co, Realestate and Trademe).
- Signs – we install “for rent” signs outside the property.
- 24 Hour phone message service – we never miss a call.
- Property viewings – we conduct private viewings (which can be booked on our online booking system or directly with your property manager) and open homes. Potential tenants can view your property when it suits them, this increases the number of prospective tenants to chose from.
- Cowdy & Co. cars – our fleet of sign written cars give us a great profile.
- Social media – our Facebook page increases our presence in Christchurch. It features interesting property information as well as updates of what is happening around our city.
Our online booking system is in the process of being rolled out. This enquiry system is used to respond to prospective tenants who can view a rental property listing, and immediately choose a viewing time suitable for them. This ensures the booking process is quick and easy therefore you will have the benefit of more prospective tenants viewing your property.
Managing tenants can be a major headache for many property owners, particularly for those located outside the region. We pride ourselves on ensuring that all the potential hassles are taken out of the process for you, so you can focus on what you enjoy including building your residential investment portfolio.
Our Property Management phone numbers are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, ensuring that issues will be efficiently dealt with when they arise. We also operate a strict rent arrears policy and will manage any shortfalls in payment in a timely and appropriate manner with your tenant.
Rental property inspections and maintenance
Ongoing property maintenance and preventative maintenance is important to the integrity of any property. Our Property Managers conduct regular property checks and inspections to ensure issues are identified before they became a major (and expensive) problem.
To ensure efficiency in our property inspections, our Property Managers conduct iPad property inspections, noting the condition of your property and taking photos of any issues to be addressed. Inspection reports are then uploaded to our Property Management system in real time and will be emailed to you.